Saturday, November 23, 2013

The Stork Came Early....Breeding Season 2014.....

Storks are considered harbingers of good fortune. In Germany, they are known as “adebar,” meaning “luck-bringer.”
I ran three spawns as a prelude to Breeding Season 2014. In a satiated way I am thankful that my knee replacement was a success and I am looking forward to the breedings ahead.

I redo my setup to make spawning more efficient and have managed to delay hatching of eggs to 4/5 days....tho' not as good as what the Japanese breeders are experiencing...5/6/7 days hatching of eggs...I am contented that at least eggs are not prematurely hatched at 2 1/2 days which is the norm in our climatic condition.

I did six spawns and culled three away because of poor trait issues....yes selective breeding and strong determination to cull strictly so that only fries of a certain standard can populate and be used for future breeding or for other hobbyists to enjoy. Self enforced discipline is a strong medicine and as breeders we must be mindful of those commercial entities who take much risks in dollars and manhours to import ranchu to sell....we must respect and show much consideration to fellow commercial ranchu farms.

Spawn A @ 32 Days

 

Spawn B @ 28 Days

Spawn B went through a bout of severe illness and I culled many away.

 

Spawn C @ 21 Days

After two rounds of culling and by final cull maybe and hopefully a good handful remain

 

Looking forward to more breeding and hopefully a fruitful Breeding Season 2014.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats Richard... I am glad that your knee replacement is going fine..

    Can we see the picture of your setup? Thank you.
    Fred

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still going strong on your breeding program. Good job.

    William

    ReplyDelete