Wednesday, October 12, 2011

We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give...Winston Churchill

Recently, I welcomed  a relatively new ranchu player to my home....surfing the nets and sharing our joy of ranchu "husbandry". It was an enjoyable session to be abled to impart what little I know about ranchu and to also hear another hobbyist relate his ranchu experiences. Occassions of these nature are getting rarer....a part of me always have the desire to share and to help fellow hobbyists and it takes much patience and time to sit down and try to instil new hobbyists to keep a regular routine of daily ranchu chores of "dos" and ""don't"....like morning observation and inspection before feeding, water change and the various treatments for illness. On the other hand, it is very disappointing to receive SMS's that been forwarded (I don't know how many)and  gone viral and the message of this nature referring to me...

"It's monkey with an empty head that litters everywhere makes the hobby political and best, blind leading the blind....all blind"

Please...I am twice your age and as old as your father and mother!!


Coming from a financial background where our words are our bond and much due dilligence is afforded before making any statement, I am very careful when I share what little I know and many a time I expressed it with the underlying remark that it is my way of doing it and hobbyists must weigh the pros and cons themselves. Even my desire to promote breeding and post in certain ornamental fish website was strongly questioned and I was accused of being a man who cannot differentiate what is right and wrong. As I have remarked many times before when so many misunderstandings happened amongst various parties and I was caught in the middle...I will just sit on it....it is never my nature to act recklessly....need not go around telling hobbyists that I have a hand in corrupting others mind.

My ranchu journey is a personal ranchu journey of Self Discovery and into the Unknown...there are not much references and research materials in Singapore about ranchu and throughout the world for that matter except for the motherland of ranchu, Japan....hobbyists in Singapore are handicapped enough...do we need more.....maybe to some as self interests entail them to continously devalue the achievements and accomplishments of others.


9 comments:

  1. wake up son;
    time to grow up;
    old mind:corrupt mind

    ReplyDelete
  2. This Blogger is well known in Singapore to earnestly share his Ranchu Journey. His partiality and passion endeared him to many hobbyist new and experience. It is sad that the sms "It's monkey with an empty head that litters everywhere makes the hobby political and best, blind leading the blind....all blind" was sent to attack this blogger character and passion for the hobby. This is all wrong, very wrong. Seriously, who is actually the one with the corrupt mind?; It's a no brainer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these negative comments smell like like rotten ranchu politics. stink! sounds like somebody is jealous if you ask me. why don't you (anonymous) wake up and grow up yourself and let your fish speak instead of leaving anonymous cheap-shot comments on a blog. your behavior is juvenile.

    just my humble opinion, but i think this blog is one of the best English language sources for solid information and links on ranchu i have found. the only fault is Richard douse not post enough.

    North America thanks you Richard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with the previous comment. Richard knows what he is doing.

    @The first commenter: Shut the fuck up and don't come back here.

    We might need to run "Occupy TVR".

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep building bridges even if other's egos burn them down.

    It's unfortunate that those attracted to Ranchu are not always as giving and open as yourself or on our side of the world Gary Hater.

    Far to many people get caught up in the pomp and circumstance of hobby and they will not achieve the successes you have had will continue to have in the future.

    Best fishes
    David
    www.goldfishgarage.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. The SMS and original negative comments are juvenile. It's crap and obviously politically motivated.

    You don't deserve such treatment Richard. The malicious comments have no basis in truth. Shrug it off and keep posting and sharing. there are many of us out here who appreciate your insights and blog—If anything you post too infrequently.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Is it me or is it just that local Japanese ranchu community is shrinking? Just popped over a certain website and found that there are not many threads on Japanese Ranchu recently. Even those that was posted are just pictures of Ranchus and no discussion on real grooming, how to better a fish, what is good ranchu swimming? I only see really so many old faces in one of the thread, so where does "many astonishing new kakis" came from? That aside, i'm real glad that Richard continues sharing here.

    Really miss those posting by Richard, Fire87, Figo, Chinmo, Shimark, Nazari and Titus. Those post add value to a hobbyist understanding of ranchu, especially to newbies. What happened to these people, especially Nazari? I only see musics at his youtube channel. i remembered he told me this through our correspond via PM; "Hobby should be shared honestly and sincerely to all. What good it would be if there is only 1 or 2 guys become good?" His last advice to me that i remember till to this day is, "If you become someone Senior in the hobby or in this website, do be responsible with what you share, there are many hobbyist out there looking up to you. Thus, you have an important role to play in the growth of the hobby".

    I truly understand what Nazari said, when i see Richard shares his insights on Ranchu and Life in Particular. Richard thank you, you have been an inspiration to me and i believe to many many more. Keep on sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Richard,

    I realy hope you do not worry too much about these childish messages. Unfortunately, these kind of things make also part of our otherwise so fantastic hobby.
    Even thought we do not yet know each other personnaly, I truly respect you for what you have done so far for the Ranchu community in Singapore ! My Ranchu Brothers in Singapore only tell me very positive things about you. Keep speading the Ranchu word ! Our hobby needs people like you !

    Kind regards,

    Geert Coppens

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear David, Geert and Anonymous hobbyists,

    Thank you for all your kind comments. I know I am not walking alone and now I know even more.

    Kind Regards

    Richard Lim

    ReplyDelete